Tuesday, September 22, 2009

French Officials Dismantle Calais Migrant Camp

Police clear French migrant camp
French police have moved in to dismantle a makeshift camp set up by migrants near the port of Calais.

"The chief of Calais police, Pierre de Bousquet de Florian, told reporters the operation had been a success.
He said 146 adults and 132 self-declared minors had been detained. None of those held were female, he said.
The adults were taken into police custody and the minors taken to special centres.
France says all will be offered the chance to apply for asylum or voluntary assisted repatriation.
However, many of the camp's inhabitants left before the operation and correspondents say it is feared they will simply set up camp somewhere else.

On their last night in the camp, some of those who remained said they feared for the future.

The chief of Calais police, Pierre de Bousquet de Florian, told reporters the operation had been a success.
He said 146 adults and 132 self-declared minors had been detained. None of those held were female, he said.
The adults were taken into police custody and the minors taken to special centres.

France says all will be offered the chance to apply for asylum or voluntary assisted repatriation.
However, many of the camp's inhabitants left before the operation and correspondents say it is feared they will simply set up camp somewhere else.
On their last night in the camp, some of those who remained said they feared for the future.

One resident, Bashir, a 24-year-old English teacher from northern Afghanistan, told the AFP news agency he had paid $15,000 (10,000 euros; £9,000) to travel to Europe through Pakistan and Istanbul.
He said: 'We have no idea what the police will do, if they will take us or let us go free.'
'But here we already made our place. We have our homes, our showers and our mosque,' he added. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8268028.stm

No comments: